Vice President, Finance and Operations
The BC Parks Foundation's mission is to enhance and pass on the legacy of BC's world-class parks so that they flourish forever. We are the official charitable partner to BC’s world class parks system-- the sixth largest parks system in the world, with over 1034 parks and more than 26million visits a year. Our goal is to create the best parks system in the world.
In the last several years we have achieved outstanding growth and results, under the guidance of our exceptional Board of Directors and with the support of our loyal and growing community. We pride ourselves on our entrepreneurial and innovative approach to achieving our mission.
We are inviting a full-time Vice President, Finance and Operations, to join us as we move to the next level of success. We are seeking a candidate who has been producing outstanding results in an established organization and is looking to enhance their impact and career through a senior leadership position in an organization with significant growth potential.
The successful candidate will have a CPA designation with strong financial management capabilities coupled with operational and systems expertise.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Vice President, Finance and Operations, focuses on ensuring BC Parks Foundation maintains efficient and effective financial and operating systems and processes, high service levels and accountability across its core business functions, while continuously seeking to improve resource utilization. The incumbent has senior managerial responsibility for financial management, operations, administration, HR, security, information technology, privacy, property management and legal affairs. The incumbent ensures effective operation of BC Parks Foundation activities to achieve overall mission and goals.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Financial Management: Oversee the work of the finance function as a whole to ensure compliance with regulatory and funders requirements; efficient and effective management of the finance function; accuracy and reliability of financial information; and the overall management of BCPF’s funding and expenditures.
- Strategic Operations and Administration: Provide support to the CEO in forward work planning, strategic financial management, budgetary analysis and reporting.
- Audit, Compliance and Internal Controls: Ensure all audits and statutory compliance are carried out on time, in line with Canadian and BCPF regulations and compliance requirements. Prepare compliance reports for the Board and the CEO as required.
- Management Accounting: Set up and continue to improve effective management accounting systems and processes
- Management of Information Technology (IT) Oversees, and ensures effective use of, Information Technology systems to support fundraising and organizational business processes, including document management, client relationships management (CRM), event support, and grant management systems. Leverages Information Technology to support core business initiatives. Establishes and maintains budget management for IT.
- Security: Manages security of Foundation digital and physical assets, and employees.
- Investment Management: Undertake the management of BCPF assets and securities, including tracking investment performance and providing financial statement analysis to the Board and the CEO
- Grants Accounting: in cooperation with the Program Officers, funders and grantees, as required, oversee the preparation of budgets and financial reports for submission to granting agencies
- Donations Management: Oversee the administration of all donations including institutional support, including keeping accurate records on donations given, donor contact information, and donations reporting
- Property Management and Interface for Legal Matters: Manages BCPF properties, property uses and processes for property management. Collaborates with CEO on legal advisory requirements.
- Leadership and Talent Management: Contributes to BCPF’s efforts to promote an organizational culture of collaboration, open and frequent communication, adaptation, alignment with a common vision, and celebration of success in achieving specific project and broader organizational objectives.
- Human Resource Management: Working closely with CEO, oversee human resources activities including: recruitment, selection and hiring; payroll and benefits; staff support and engagement; and support for training and development.
Education and Experience
Degree from a recognized university in finance, accounting, business administration or other quantitative discipline relevant to the position from a recognized university. CPA designation. Approximately 5 years of progressively evolving management and team leadership.
- Strong accounting, audit, financial management and financial analysis skills
- Highly numerate with an ability to create, manage, interpret, and present financial analysis, forecasting and resource management
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong managerial and leadership skills with the ability to manage and develop high-performing teams
- Ability to prioritize workload and function effectively within and outside the office in a cross-cultural, interdisciplinary environment
- Ability to work under pressure to complete multiple tasks, meet demands and deadlines with a positive, constructive attitude
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters and respond as required
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel; familiarity with Quickbooks accounting software desirable
- Understanding of legal language in all types of business contracts and risk assessment
- Ability to manage a heavy workload and perform effectively managing numerous significant responsibilities and challenges with competing priorities.
- Strong working knowledge of financial, accounting, cash flow, donor, grant budgeting and investment management
- Strong working knowledge of audit and compliance
- Knowledge of Canadian accounting standards and consolidated financial reporting
- Knowledge of grant processes, procedures and auditing requirements
- Understanding legal language in all types of business contracts and risk assessment
- Understanding the not-for-profit sector, including donor relations and management
- Background in strategy and business planning with the proven ability to develop and manage business plans, processes and controls to enhance efficiencies and mitigate risk
- Demonstrate proven ability in organizational development, information technology, business transformation, fundraising, project management, asset and property management
- Adept with information communications technology (ICT) commonly used in office applications, with advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products and preferred experience with Salesforce.
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions without either document will not be considered.
If you'd like to be considered for future opportunities, but don't see your perfect role here, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and we'll keep your information on file for future consideration. Due to the high volume of applicants, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your understanding.
When I get beneath the surface of things, these are not moments of mystery, they are moments of extraordinary clarity. Everything has the energy of its making inside it.”